Augustana Lutheran Church was established on April 16, 1866, by Swedish and Lutheran immigrants. According to the WAP Report (L. Hallgrains, 1936), the few Swedish families began meeting in homes for services in 1857. By 1865, services were held in Chutes schoolhouse, or, more commonly, in the home of C. G. Vannstrom, with the Reverend E. Norelius, from St. Paul, preaching. Meetings were moved to "Dr. Knickerbacker's church (Episcopalian),at Hennepin and Fourth St. in 1866 and the congregation was formally organized. They bought a lot at Washington and 13th Ave.