Jump to main navigation. Jump to main content

Browse Research Items

Abbott Hospital, Minneapolis

Established in 1902 in a house at 10 East 17th Street, by Dr. Amos Wilson Abbott, this hospital for women was expanded with the help of William Dunwoody, whose wife Kate had been treated by Abbott. Dunwoody funded the construction of a new building, designed by architect William Channing Whitney, in 1910, at 1717 1st Avenue, South.  When Dunwoody died in 1914, the building ownership transfered to Westminster Presbyterian Church, which held it until 1964. William B. Janney added a Children's Pavilion in the same block in 1919-20.  The hospital merged with Northwestern in 1970.


Agudath Achim Synagogue (a.k.a. Agudas Akim, Agudas Achim), Minneapolis

By the turn of the 20th century, enough Jewish people had settled on Minneapolis’ south side to form at least three congregations:  Adath Jeshuran, B’nai Abraham, and Agudas Achim, all initially Orthodox.  The latter held its first services in 1902 on the 4th floor of a stone building located at Franklin and 17th Ave. S.  Two years later, the congregation purchased a four-plex at 1820 17th Ave. S.


Andrew Presbyterian Church, Minneapolis

Established, August 23, 1857, as First Presbyterian Church of St. Anthony, at 729 4th St. SE.

Name changed in 1861 to Andrew Presbyterian, in honor of Mrs. Catherine Andrew and her daughters (New York City), who provided funds for a "western church."

Church erected in 1890, by Minneapolis architect, Charles Sedgwick, who patterned it after St. Giles in Scotland.

Part of the building collapsed in 2002 and shortly after the building was razed. 


Anshei Tavrig, Minneapolis

A breakaway group from Kenesseth Israel, Jewish immigrants from Tavrig, Lithuania, established their own congregation in 1900 naming it after their “hometown” Anshei Tavrig, Men of Tavrig.  The congregation dissolved in 1913 and its synagogue located at 601 North Fourth Street was purchased by a newly formed congregation, Gemelus Chesed


Apostolic Faith Mission, Minneapolis

In April 1906, African American preacher William J. Seymour's revival meeting on Azusa Street in Los Angeles, California, resulted in ecsatic worship and speaking in tongues, setting off a pentecostal tidal wave that swept the country.  In Minneapolis, the pentecostal Apostolic Faith Mission was organized during summer 1907, initially meeting in the homes of members. In 1908 the group rented halls at Bloomington and Franklin Avenue and later at Lake Street and Chicago Avenue.


Pages