Arriving in Minneapolis in 1889, the Roman Catholic Christian Brothers, or Brothers of the Christian Schools, served as teachers in the Immaculate Conception parish in Northeast. In 1900 they established a school on Nicolett Island and took up residence in the former King mansion, which they moved about 100 feet east of its original location at 17 Grove Street. In the third floor of the home, originally a recreation room for the King children, the brothers created the Chapel of Saint John Baptist De La Salle.
A group of ten Jewish men (minyon) living on Saint Paul’s West Side river flats first held services in 1913 in an old church located on Fillmore Avenue.A year later they formed a congregation and joined the Jewish Union of Orthodox Rabbis USA.The congregation erected a stucco and stone synagogue at 284 Texas St. in 1914.The congregation had 45 members in 1938.It is unclear when the congregation disbanded.
Although Episcopal services were held in the region as early as 1842 regular congregational meetings began in 1850, in a school house on West 3rd Street. The group began erecting a church in the fall of that year on Cedar Street, between 3rd and 4th Streets. During the spring of 1851 the congregation was offically established and the new church was dedicated on June 20, 1851. By 1866-67, a new church was being built at 4th Street and Franklin, but on February 3, 1867, the nearly-complete building was destroyed by fire.
A schism occurred in Pilgrim Baptist Church in 1914 with the result that nearly two hundred of its members left and formed Memorial Baptist Church.The congregation under the leadership of Reverend Joseph Walter Harris purchased Central Swedish Baptist Church[location?] and set about remodeling its interior to house a variety of community activities.However believing the structure was too small to house all the envisioned activities, Harris made plans to erect a new b
At first Polish Catholics in St. Paul worshipped along with Bohemian Catholics in a small church at the corner of Western Avenue and Superior Street which was named the Parish of St. Stanislaus. However, as their numbers grew, the Poles wanted to organize a distinctly Polish parish where they could speak their language, and practice their customs and traditions. In 1881, two lots were purchased at the corner of Charles and Galtier Street and the old French Church located on the corner of 10th and Cedar Street was purchased and moved to the site.
This church traced its origins to 1876, when a German Catholic group branched out from the Church of St. Joseph in North Minneapolis to organize a St. Vincent Society in South Minneapolis. The St. Vincent Society met in a one story, frame schoolhouse located on 14th Avenue South between 6th and 7th Streets, which they purchased and used for a church and school until 1883. The first Mass was said to be held in the building on December 2, 1876.
This project documents the congregations and houses of worship that developed within the earliest neighborhoods in Twin Cities between 1849 and 1924.. Among the topics explored are communities, ethnicity and identity, relationships among congregations, intra-congregational interactions, class structure, and the role of houses of worship.