Organized in the late 1880s by a group of men living in the Lower Town area of Saint Paul, the congregation numbering around 85 initially met at 50 W. 10th St. before moving into a building located at 165 State Street on the West Side river flats.Rabbi Isaac Lichtenberg served as the congregation’s rabbi.It is unclear when the congregation disbanded.
Organized in 1889 by members who withdrew from Shiloh Presbyterian. First meetings in the Odd Fellows Hall at 2320 Harrison St. (now Central Avenue). 1890 built a church at 26th Ave. and Taylor St. NE., which was later sold to the Philadelphia Assembly. 1925, Shiloh Presbyterian and Bethany Congregational merged, becoming Shiloh Bethany Presbyterian Church, which worshipped in the Shiloh building at 944 24th Ave. NE.
Organized in 1876 and rented a house on 6th Street, SE, for a home for unwed mothers. Incorporated as Bethany Home in 1879 and in 1885 moved to a building erected by T. B. Walker on 17th Street. Later moved to 3719 Bryant Ave. South. Bethany Home was renamed Harriet Walker Hospital.
Second Church of Christian Science, Minneapolis, held regular mission services in Bethany Home beginning in 1900.
This congregation was formed on January 15, 1902, when some 400 members of Trinity Lutheran Church withdrew in support of minister M. Falk Gjertsen, who had been accused of unchristian behavior. The congregation, with Gjertsen at its head, initially met in a hall at 26th Avenue and East Franklin in the Philips neighborhood. They built a church at 25th Avenue and East Franklin in 1903.
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was established as a mission by Saint Paul’s St. James AME Church in 1915 with 10 members. It first meet on Mississippi Street between Archer and Genesee Streets. In 1920, membership totaled more than 100. In 1921, they purchased a white church. In 1934, the mission disbanded.
Sources differ on the organization of the this African American congregation, but it was most likely started in 1887. At this time it had only fifteen members; by the 1930s that number had increased to 250. Its first meetings were held in a member’s hairdressing parlor at 520 Nicollet, and later meetings were held in Freyers Hall at 505-1/2 Washington Avenue, South, and in the Peck Building. According to Atwater, the congregation formally organized on July 27, 1889, with 25 members.
Coming together initially to build a school in 1886, this German Lutheran congregation organized on April 11, 1887 as a church, a daughter church of Zion Evangelical Lutheran (Sycamore and Courtland Sts). The congregation built a frame church at 661 Forest Street in 1888 and rebuilt in brick in 1915. Services were held in German exclusively until 1903, when some English servivces were included. In 1937 German services were eliminated.
This project documents the congregations and houses of worship that developed within the earliest neighborhoods in Twin Cities between 1849 and 1924.. Among the topics explored are communities, ethnicity and identity, relationships among congregations, intra-congregational interactions, class structure, and the role of houses of worship.