Jump to main navigation. Jump to main content

Browse Research Items

Emanuel Lutheran Church, Minneapolis

A daughter of Augustana Lutheran Church, the city’s first Swedish Lutheran Congregation, Emanuel traces its history back to 1872, when a group of Swedish immigrants began to meet in a room on Main Street NE.  By 1878, the group had grown and organized a Sunday School that was taken over by Augustana.  Six years later, Swedish Lutherans in Northeast Minneapolis petitioned Augustana to organize an independent congregation.


Evangelical Immanuel Lutheran Congregation of St. Anthony, Minneapolis

Different spelling of the name and a different ethnic group.  This congregation was established in 1875 by Norwegian immigrants and incorporated in 1883; it was affiliated with the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.  The congregation initially met in Trinity Lutheran Church, 4th St. and 9th Avenue S.  However because of the distance from congregants’ homes a decision was made to purchase a Congregational Church on 4th St. NE and remodel its interior by adding an altar, pulpit and baptismal font.  In 1887 they purchased lots at 1424 Monroe St.


Pages