Founded in 1894, this congregation met in a church on the corner of 14th Avenue South and 18th Street. In 1923, the congregation merged with the Golgotha Evangelical Lutheran Church. Despite the merger, the two congregation continued to meet in their home buildings, Bethlehem's at 14th and 18th and Golgotha's on the corner of 32nd Street and Pleasant Avenue South. In 1927, the two congregations began to meet together in the Golgatha church.
On September 25, 1874, Dr. C. A. Evald, pastor of Augustana Lutheran Church, a congregation of the Minnesota Conference of the Augustana Synod, met with a group of Swedish immigrants living in the Near North Side to organize a second Swedish Lutheran congregation in Minneapolis, Svenska Evangeliska Betlehems Forsamlingen, and to erect a church on a lot offered by Mr. H. A.
This Plymouth Brethren group formed in 1884 as an anti-denominational gathering of like-minded English-speaking Christians that accepted only "the spiritual essence of Christianity as constituting a church" (WPA Report). Their original name was "The Bible Truth Hall". They eschewed organization, individual leadership, formal theologies, and denominational ties. The group met in several locations, usually rooms in office buildings or storefronts, starting in a schoolhouse at 297 Nelson Avenue in 1884, and later moving to the following: 313 Robert Street, East 10th near St.
Bohemian Flats, located on the West Bank of the Mississippi River just below the Washington Avenue bridge, was a community of immigrants that flourished between 1869 and 1929. Here rents were cheap, and despite the annual spring floods, newcomers settled in. The earliest to make their homes here were Dutch and Irish, Swedes followed, but by the 1880s, Slovaks and Czechs predominated. Immigrant men found easy access to jobs in the flour and lumber mills just upriver and in the barrel-making establishments that provided needed containers for the mills and the several breweries along the river.
The congregation was established in 1918 by fifteen African Americans who met in a church located at 18 South Fourth Street. In 1923 the congregation moved into a building at 95 Border Avenue North. The congregation’s first pastor was Reverend Cheers who served until 1927. Early records of the congregation were destroyed in a fire in 1928.
Calvary Methodist Church, originally known as Western Avenue Methodist Church, was established in 1885. The Methodists, too, were reaching out to immigrants dissatisfied with their national churches. Particular success was realized among Scandinavians and Germans. One of the first Swedish congregations in the Twin Cities was the Scandinavian Methodist Episcopal Church of St. Paul established in 1854 by Swedes, Danes, and Norwegians.
Camphor Memorial United Methodist Episcopal Church is named in memory of the first African American missionary to Africa from the Methodist Church, Bishop Alexander P. Camphor in 1916. The church’s first service was at Mr. and Mrs. Alfred McFarland home as a prayer meeting. The African American congregation officially established itself on December 19, 1919 with 18 members. For four months, services were held in Grace Methodist Episcopal Church on Burr Street near East Minnehaha Street before the congregation moved to Union Hall on Aurora Avenue and Kent Street.
In 1881, the Sons of Jacob congregation established a Hebrew School in the synagogue they erected at College Avenue between Wabasha and Saint Peter.That building was demolished in 1888 and a larger synagogue was erected on the site.As the enrollment in the Hebrew School grew, a decision was made in 1911 to erect a separate facility at 137 College Avenue.
This project documents the congregations and houses of worship that developed within the earliest neighborhoods in Twin Cities between 1849 and 1924.. Among the topics explored are communities, ethnicity and identity, relationships among congregations, intra-congregational interactions, class structure, and the role of houses of worship.