The frontier town of St. Anthony was established on the basis of lumbering, which attracted many migrants from eastern states to settle there. Along with the influx of labourers came missionaries who were mostly Congregationalist or Presbeteryian. One of the first congregations organized in the area was in 1851 in St Anthony under the name First Congregational Church of St. Anthony.
The history of First Evangelical Church is unclear, but apparently it came about through the merger of three Evangelical congregations or missions, all German. Even before the congregation was formally organized in 1872 its members had erected a church at 319 Fourth Street North, but six years later it was moved to Sixth Avenue North and Fourth Street where it remained until 1906 when a new church was built at 1819 Emerson Avenue North.
Organized in 1857 as the Immanuel Church of the Evangelical Association of North America, this congregation was initially located at 11th and Pine Streets. In 1920, it erected a church at Earl and Euclid Streets in Dayton's Bluff. On March 27, 1921, the congregation took a new name, First Evangelical Church. Services were held in German until 1916. In 1946 the Evangelical denomination merged with the United Brethren in Christ, and the congregation was again renamed, this time to the First Evangelical United Brethren Church.
Organized on April 7, 1884, by revivalists August Davis and F. M. Johnson, this congregation as the Chruch of Christ, this congregation went through a series of name changes in the next twenty years. It became the Scandinavian Church of Christ on May 12, 1884, and in 1904 the First Scandinavian Evangelical Free Church of the U.S.A. The congregation was the mother church of all Evangelical Free congregations in the city, and it also sponsored groups in outstate Minnesota and Wisconsin. Meetings were initially held in the Freja Hall at Washington and 5th Avenue South.
This congregation of German-speaking Baptist immigrants began meeting as a congregation in 1879 and established the First German Baptist Church on August 3, 1873. They initially met in a hall over a store at 6th and Rosabel Streets, and occasionally met in the First English Baptist Church on Wacouta between 7th and 8th Streets. In 1881 they erected a church at 13th and Canada Streets. A decade later, they erected new church at 600 Mendota Street, dedicating it on June 20, 1891. The congregation changed its name to Dayton's Bluff Baptist Church in 1941.
This project documents the congregations and houses of worship that developed within the earliest neighborhoods in Twin Cities between 1849 and 1924.. Among the topics explored are communities, ethnicity and identity, relationships among congregations, intra-congregational interactions, class structure, and the role of houses of worship.