Jump to main navigation. Jump to main content

Anshei Tavrig, Minneapolis

A breakaway group from Kenesseth Israel, Jewish immigrants from Tavrig, Lithuania, established their own congregation in 1900 naming it after their “hometown” Anshei Tavrig, Men of Tavrig.  The congregation dissolved in 1913 and its synagogue located at 601 North Fourth Street was purchased by a newly formed congregation, Gemelus Chesed (Bestowal of Kindness) that grew out of a free loan association and was moved to 815 Girard Avenue North.  The congregation’s small stucco building that seated around 400 people has since been demolished. 

Category: 

Neighborhood: