Jump to main navigation. Jump to main content

Adath Yeshurun Congregation, St. Paul

Located in the Lowertown neighborhood of Saint Paul, Adath Yeshurun congregation was founded in 1915 and apparently purchased a former church located at the corner of 14th and Canada Streets to reuse as a synagogue.  Little is known about the congregation except that Rabbi Joseph Hurvitz, known in the Lowertown Jewish community as “Der Roiter Rav” (The Red Rabbi), led both Adath Yeshurun and Sons of Jacob congregations from the 1910s.

Source: WPA report written by Paul A. Paulson, July 1936 (Minnesota Historical Society), Plaut, Jews of Minnesota, p. 202; University of MN Archives, Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives.

 

 

 

 

 

Category: 

Neighborhood: 

Sources: