Established in 1902 in a house at 10 East 17th Street, by Dr. Amos Wilson Abbott, this hospital for women was expanded with the help of William Dunwoody, whose wife Kate had been treated by Abbott. Dunwoody funded the construction of a new building, designed by architect William Channing Whitney, in 1910, at 1717 1st Avenue, South. When Dunwoody died in 1914, the building ownership transfered to Westminster Presbyterian Church, which held it until 1964. William B. Janney added a Children's Pavilion in the same block in 1919-20. The hospital merged with Northwestern in 1970.