Adath Jeshurun congregation was founded on August 20, 1884 by fifteen men who had emigrated to the United States from the Pale of Settlement in Eastern Europe. The men settled on the south side of Minneapolis, near the city’s expanding downtown area. According to the Minneapolis Journal it was established for the “worship of Jehovah according to the principles and precepts of the Jewish religion and in the mode prescribed by the Jewish Orthodox minhag [custom].” However, in 1913, in response to younger members requesting a more progressive approach to Judaism, the congregation affiliated with the newly formed Conservative Movement. Initially the congregation met in various halls, including Turner Hall at the corner of 6th Ave. and Washington Ave. N. In 1903, the congregation purchased its first permanent home, the First Swedish Methodist Church located between 11th and 12th Ave. S. A year later it was destroyed by a tornado and funds were raised to purchase a second church on the corner of 9th St. and 12th Ave. S. variously described as Free Christian Church of Minneapolis, Nazareth Unitarian Church and Norwegian Free Church. Dedicated in 1906, the congregation remained at this site for twenty years before erecting a synagogue at 34th and Dupont Ave. So. (Currently home to First Unitarian/Universalist Congregation.). The congregation moved to its current location in 1995, 10500 Hillside Lane W., Minnetonka, MN.
Source: Orkin, Etta Fay, Deborah T. Sugerman, 125 Years of Adath Jeshurun Congregation. 2009.