Jump to main navigation. Jump to main content

First Church of God in Christ, Minneapolis

 A group of African Americans from Oklahoma arrived in Minneapolis in 1923 and moved to the North Side where they established the First Church of God in Christ on 6th and Lyndale Avenue North. The congregation that numbered fourteen at the time it was organized, also established a Sunday School, Prayer and Bible Band, a Ladies’ Sewing Circle, and a Young People’s Willing Workers group. In 1948, the congregation purchased Kenesseth Israel at 518 Lyndale Avenue North when that congregation moved to Plymouth Avenue. Ten years later the congregation moved into another synagogue, Tifereth B’nai Jacob on 810 Elwood Avenue North, where it remains.

Category: 

Neighborhood: