Jump to main navigation. Jump to main content

Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church (AKA Morgan Ave. Lutheran Church), Minneapolis

The Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church (also known as the Morgan Avenue Lutheran Church) organized in 1914 and was an affiliate of the Soumi synod of the Finnish Lutheran Church. It held meetings in members’ homes until 1928, when a stone church was built at 240 Morgan Avenue North. This congregation, too, claimed to have one hundred members. The Finns, unlike Norwegians, Swedes, and Germans, stayed in their Finn Town enclave on the Near North Side well into the 1950s and saunas were in the neighborhood later than that.

Category: 

Neighborhood: