Emmanuel Cohen Center, Wells-Memorial Settlement House, 6th and Lyndale, North
1924: Founded to replace the Talmud Torah’s [see above] Social Services.
Located in a house at 909 Elwood Avenue and called the Emmanuel Cohen Memorial Home. The institution was intended to provide the Jewish community with health and wellness services and programs for youths and seniors. Named for a prominent Jewish lawyer who moved to Minneapolis in 1885.
1940: New building constructed and dedicated at 913 Elwood: The Emmanuel Cohen Center.
1963: The building at 913 Elwood was sold to the Minnesota Association for Retarded Children, and the Jewish center moved to St. Louis Park at 4330 Cedar Lake Road South. The building at 913 Elwood later building became the Oak Park Neighborhood Center.
Bibliography: Gunther Plaut, The Jews of Minnesota, pp. 148-9; David Schwartz, “Minneapolis Jewish Community Center,” A Legacy of Pride: the American Jewish World, vol. 75, 10/31/1986, pp. 68-70. “Pillsbury United Communities: A History,” Pillsbury United Communities, n.d.; Minneapolis Tribune 9/13/1925 “Free Dental Clinic at Emanuel Cohen Memorial Center;” Minneapolis Star 11/31/1938 “Emanuel Cohen Center to Start New Building Soon.” http://www.sabesjcc.org/history-jcc.php