The Elim Swedish Baptist congregation was established in 1888 by Swedish immigrants who were attending meetings held in several buildings prior to constructing their church in the midst of Lutheran churches at 685 13th Ave. NE. Designed by A. G. Wass and built in 1904, this is the only one of the four congregations that is still worshipping in its original building.
Unlike some immigrants who lived in ethnic enclaves, Swedish immigrants dispersed throughout the city. Many settled in the Northeast area, creating a strong Scandinavian presence in the neighborhood. In the mid-1880s, several Swedish women formed a sewing circle at the home of Mrs. J. Halvorsen at 15th Ave. and Jefferson St., NE. The group met for devotions and charity work. In 1887, First Swedish Baptist Church of Minneapolis established a mission to the Swedes in the Sunday school chapel of the previously established Northeast Baptist Church. The Elim congregation formed, and moved out of the church to rented space in the Congregational church at 13th and Jefferson. In 1888, the Elim Swedish Baptist Church formally organized.
The church building, designed by A. G. Wass and built in 1904, is seen below behind the children playing marbles.